The National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research 2023 (National Statement) is for use by:
- any researcher conducting research with human participants
- any member of an ethical review body reviewing that research
- those involved in research governance
- potential research participants.
It will replace the 2007 National Statement (updated in 2018) on 1 January 2024. This timeframe is to give researchers, research offices and Human Research Ethics Committees the opportunity to:
- familiarise themselves with the new guidance
- make necessary adjustments to policies and processes.
Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) grant agreements require all grant recipients to comply with the National Statement.
We encourage all MRFF grant recipients to learn more about the revised guidance, including the public consultation on Section 4.